RJ Word @rjword
Photography by Sergio Necoechea @sergionecoechea
Grooming by Thea Istenes @theaistenes for Exclusive Artists using MAC Cosmetics”
Styled by Cat Wright @catwrightstyle | Interview by Ashira Provost @_ashiraprovost
1. Tell us about your latest single “What You Need,” and what inspired you to create it? Is there an EP or album coming soon?
What You Need was musically inspired by a lot of disco records and the energy that live horns can bring to a song. Lyrically, it’s about not needing stuff to have a good time. No plans for an EP or album at the moment. Just more singles.
2. What legends inspire you as an artist?
Michael Jackson is definitely my biggest legendary inspiration. As far as classic legends go, I’m a sucker for an underdog story – so, King Arthur is a great one.
3. Live band in studio, or samples?
Other than the drums everything is usually recorded live. We use drum samples most of the time because there are certain sounds you just can’t get with a live kit. That said, one of the producers I work with records most of those samples himself.
4. How do you feel about the globalization of music?
I think we’re still in the early stages but I’m very excited to see where it goes in the next couple of years. If our genres are starting to blend together it just means we’re inspiring each other. Who doesn’t want to be inspired?
6. Who would you like to work with in the US?
To name a few: Bruno Mars, Quincy Jones, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West and Max Martin.
7. What other projects you are working on during the latter half of 2018?
I was just on a record called Echa Pa’ Aca with Juan Magan, Pitbull and Rich The Kid. Juan and I are working on another record, and I’ve got a couple more singles in the works.
8. What do you do in your free time?
Free time. Haha. Good one.
When I do catch a free moment I like to go on hikes with friends and do hot yoga.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years from now?
On a world tour singing songs I’m proud of writing.