KAALAN "KR" WALKER
Kaalan "KR" Walker @whokr
Editor-in-chief x Creative Director:Anessa London:@stylezbylondonartistry
Interview by Ashira Provost @_ashiraprovost
1. How did you discover hip-hop?
I spent a lot of time in my room growing up, because my mother was always working, so I spent a lot of time watching TV and YouTube and over time that led to my interest in music.
2. Who inspired you to rap?
I never really had a lot of friends growing up, so I never really knew who to talk to. I randomly decided to start doing music one day and I never stopped, it’s like a friend you can always talk to.
3. Tell us about the character you play in Superfly, JuJu.
Juju is angry, greedy and jealous. He compares himself a lot to other people which makes him mad and he shows it through his aggression.
4. How did you prepare for the role?
To be honest, I didn’t really have to prepare for it, that character lives somewhere in me. So when we started rolling it was extremely natural for me.
5. After this film are you actively looking for more movie roles or your focus will be on your rap career?
I hate putting limits on myself, I want to do as many cool things as possible on this earth before I’m gone.
6. Let’s get into your new project for a bit. What’s the concept behind In Due Time?
It’s pretty much all the things I’ve experienced the last few months of my life wrapped in to 12 songs. I called it In Due Time, because I’m currently studying the art of patience.
7. What did you do differently with this tape compared to The Intermission?
I just want to always continue to progress for myself as an artist, so I think this project compared to my last project is just steady growth and I’m very pleased with how it’s going.
8. Is there any doubt in your mind that your music will get lost in all the hype?
I used to fear that every day, now I’m just at a point where I’m having fun with it. That’s what it’s all about in the first place.
9.Describe yourself In 3 words.
Humble, focused and kind.
10.Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully just being the best person I can be, and developing a very strong sense of confidence within myself.